Скачать 1.05 Mb.
|Assignments for self-control|
Choose the correct variant. Check your answers in the keys.
1. Jim hates speaking in public, he is _____ shy.
a) absolutely b) completely c) painfully
a) absolutely b) utterly c) terribly
a) very b) completely c) absolutely
a) practically b) a little bit c) virtually
a) quite b) very c) rather
a) totally b) absolutely c) very
a) slightly b) almost c) somewhat
a) nearly b) absolutely c) quite
a) high b) highly
a) deep b) deeply
11. In our school ____ students have mobile phones.
a) fifty roughly b) roughly fifty
a) more fast b) faster
a) I only slept yesterday b) Yesterday I only slept
a) arrives usually b) usually arrives
15. Liz isn’t our most punctual member of stuff, she ____ late for work.
a) is often b) often is
16. ____ , so I can pay the rent on Saturday.
17. You’ll never get your money back, because the company isn’t ____ .
18. He slapped him ____ on the back.
19. Does that flight do ____ or is there a stopover?
20. I get the feeling you haven’t ____ understood my point.
a) entirely b) really c) probably
Section VII. THE VERB
Review the following topics:
Exercise 1. State the morphological composition of the verbs.
To worry, to precipitate, to retell, to do away, to whitewash, to whiten, to ascend, to apologise, to engage, to enfold, to give in, to decompose, to translate, to transport, to browbeat, to subscribe to subordinate, to run away, to underestimate, to backbite, to mislead, to forget, to succeed, to disobey, to take off, to overrun, to satisfy, to recede, to come in, to resign, to superintend, to descend, to blackmail, to put up, to unbind, to win, to counter-act, to go on, to forecast, to befriend, to go away, to lie, to predispose.
Exercise 2. Point out notional, auxiliary, modal, and link verbs.
She went into the drawing-room and lighted the fire; then, picking up the cushions one by one, that Mary had disposed so carefully, she threw them back onto the chairs and the couches. That made all the difference; the room came alive at once. As she was about to throw the last one she surprised herself by suddenly hugging it to her, passionately, passionately. But it did not put on the fire in her bosom.
Oh, on the contrary! The windows of the drawing-room opened onto a balcony over-looking the garden. At the far end, against the wall, there was a tall, slender pear tree in fullest, richest bloom; it stood perfect, as though becalmed against the jade-green sky. Bertha couldn't help feeling even from this distance, that it had not a single bud or a faded petal. Down below, in the garden beds the red and yellow tulips, heavy with flowers seemed to lean upon the dusk. A grey cat dragging its belly crept across the lawn and a black one, its shadow, trailed after. The sight of them, so intent and so quick, gave Bertha a curious shiver. Really – really – she had everything. She was young. Harry and she were as much in love as ever, and they got on together splendidly. She had an adorable baby. They didn't have to worry about money. They had this absolutely satisfactory house and garden.
Exercise 3. Point out all the verbs. State whether they are transitive or intransitive; terminative, non-terminative or verbs of double lexical character. Translate into Russian.
1. She had spoiled his life, wounded his pride to death, defrauded him of a son. 2. The door opened, and a thick heavy-looking young man entered. 3. The paddock was well filled with people and they were walking the horses around under the trees behind the grandstand 4. Fleur did not answer. She stood for a moment looking at him and her mother. 5. After turning the matter over and consulting with Irene, he wrote to his daughter, Mrs. Val Dartie. 6. The soldiers pushed the foreign workers into groups and led them off. 7. Hughson marched him up to a sort of large desk that was all glass and shining metal. 8. While she stood hesitating the door opened, and an old man came forth shading a candle with one hand. 9. Fleur looked at her watch and rose. 10. It was Fleur’s turn now. She spoke of dogs and the way people treated them. 11. The stream which worked the mill came bubbling down in a dozen rivulets. 12. He was waiting for us at the public house; and asked me how I found myself, like an old acquaintance. I did not feel, at first, that I knew him as well as he knew me, because he had never come to our house since the night I was born, and naturally he had the advantage of me.
|Учебно-методическое пособие на английском языке Rostov-on-Don 2011...|
Учебно-методическое пособие предназначено для взрослых, которые впервые обращаются к изучению английского языка или имеют значительный...
|Семья и семейная жизнь|
Учебно-методическое пособие предназначено для студентов старших курсов лингвистических специальностей по дисциплинам «Практика устной...
|Методические рекомендации по выполнению практических навыков по хирургии...|
Учебно-методическое пособие предназначено для студентов V курса лечебного факультета и субординаторов-хирургов
|Учебно-методическое пособие для студентов очной формы обучения|
Настоящее учебно-методическое пособие разработано на основании Государственного образовательного стандарта высшего профессионального...
|Учебно-методическое пособие для студентов, обучающихся по специальности 030601 «Журналистика»|
Актуальные проблемы современной науки и журналистика: учебно-методическое пособие. – Ставрополь: Изд-во сгу, 2011. – с
|Учебно-методическое пособие для студентов|
Г 61 Головко В. М. Этико-философские доминанты эстетического мира И. С. Тургенева. Учебно-методическое пособие для студентов направления...
|Учебно-методическое пособие для организации и проведения тренингов социальной компетентности|
Кибирев А. А., Веревкина Т. А. Интерактивные методы обучения: теория и практика: Учебно-методическое пособие для студентов высших...
|Учебно-методическое пособие для студентов геологического факультета|
Палеоструктурный анализ. Учебно-методическое пособие для студентов геологического факультета / Перм ун-т : Сост. В. П. Ожгибесов....
|Статистика учебно-методическое пособие для студентов экономических...|
Статистика. Учебно-методическое пособие для студентов экономических специальностей, заочное отделение / Кемеровский госуниверситет;...
|Образовательная программа «Государственная молодежная политика» Учебно-методическое...|
Учебно-методическое пособие предназначено для использования в целях повышения квалификации работников сферы государственной молодежной...